It’s not hyperbole to call La Jolla Cove one of the best snorkeling destinations in the world. Rich with marine life, La Jolla Cove provides snorkelers with a unique experience they can’t get anywhere else. Snorkelers can spend countless hours exploring the bluest water in California and all of the treasures within. If a snorkeling excursion isn’t already on your San Diego bucket list, it should be. To help you plan your La Jolla Cove snorkeling adventure, we’ve compiled a handy guide that will help you get the most out of your experience.
The Ultimate La Jolla Cove Snorkeling Guide
Hidden within the beautiful waters of La Jolla Cove, you’ll find a vibrant ecosystem humming with marine life. When you snorkel at La Jolla Cove, you never know what you’ll see, but we’re here with helpful tips to help prepare you for the experience that awaits.
- Get There Early: La Jolla Cove isn’t a hidden gem; it’s famous for its incredible snorkeling. The small beach will fill up quickly in the summer months, so be sure to get there early if you want to avoid crowds.
- La Jolla Cove Conditions: Being a cove, you’ll naturally have some protection from waves when snorkeling at La Jolla Cove. However, you’re still in the open ocean. Large waves will occasionally come in and impact your snorkeling experience. However, there are usually lifeguards on duty. If you have any questions about the conditions when you visit La Jolla Cove, be sure to ask them.
- Go in Summer: For the best snorkeling experience at La Jolla Cove, go in the summer. In the summertime, the water is at its warmest. Additionally, you’re likely to swim with a mass gathering of leopard sharks, which is an unforgettable experience. The only downside of snorkeling at La Jolla Cove in the summer is you might have to deal with the fog that frequently covers the San Diego coastline, which will cause lower visibility and cooler water temperatures.
- Expect the Unexpected: The waters of La Jolla Cove are alive with marine life. You never know what you might find, but snorkelers have reported seeing the California state marine fish, the garibaldi, sea turtles, dolphins, rays, leopard sharks, sea lions, and more. Keep your eyes peeled at all times to ensure you catch a glimpse of all of the amazing sea critters that might be joining you on your snorkeling trip.
- Don’t Be Afraid of Leopard Sharks: Understandably, many people are uncomfortable with the notion of swimming with sharks. In fact, 51 percent of Americans say they are terrified of them. However, with leopard sharks, you have no reason to worry; they pose no threat to humans. There’s never been a recorded incident of a leopard shark biting a human.
Quality La Jolla Beach Vacation Rentals
After your busy day at La Jolla Cove snorkeling, relax at an upscale rental from Bluewater Vacation Homes. We have a wide range of luxury vacation rental options in coastal San Diego, including La Jolla Beach, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Del Mar, and more. We provide our guests with a no worry experience, ensuring you enjoy a relaxing getaway. To book your trip with Bluewater Vacation Homes, check our availability online or give us a call at 800-243-3588.