Mission Beach and Pacific Beach Visitor Information
Guests staying in a Mission Beach or Pacific Beach vacation rental will want to take advantage of everything these beach communities have to offer!
Pacific Beach and Mission Beach Area Information
The Boardwalk The Mission Beach boardwalk runs for miles and miles; from the boat channel in South Mission all the way up to Pacific Beach and along much of Mission Bay. It’s a great starting point for a stroll along the water, a day of bike riding or other activities like rollerblading, sightseeing and some of the best people watching around!
Activities include jetpacks, surfing, body boarding, swimming, kayaking, sunbathing, skating, jogging, boating, windsurfing, volleyball, picnicking and more. Swimmers and surfers use separate swimming areas, which are designated by City lifeguards. South Mission Beach is a volleyball Mecca.
For the Kids Kids will love Mission Beach for its wide variety of land and water activities. Swimming, body boarding, and sand castle building will keep them busy until it’s time to go home. Belmont Park is an amusement park full of eateries, beach shops and family fun including a merry-go-round, bumper boats, and arcade games, is next to the Big Dipper rollercoaster. There’s even an indoor Olympic-sized swimming pool called “The Plunge” adjacent to Belmont Park. Sea World is a top destination and is located on Mission Bay.
Rentals In North Mission RADD Rentals has bikes, roller blades. Surfboards, boogie boards, kayaks, chairs, umbrellas, etc. call them at 858-488-7789. In South Mission, Hamels Surf Shop has bicycles and roller blades, clothing, etc. and is located on Ventura Place 708 Ventura Pl. (across from Belmont Park) 858-488-5050.
Lifeguard Protection Lifeguards are staffed daily year round at the main lifeguard station at the foot of Ventura Place, adjacent to Belmont Park. In summer, additional lifeguards are staffed along the beach in seasonal lifeguard towers. Lifeguards are generally on duty from 9:00 a.m. to dusk; but check with lifeguards for specific staff hours.
Water Use Areas Water areas off the major beaches are divided into swimming and surfing zones to separate these users. A black and yellow checker flag will normally be posted between zones. Check signs or ask a lifeguard for the proper zone for your activity. You can check the surf forecast at www.swellinfo.com.
Restrooms and Showers Public restrooms and showers are located at the foot of Ventura Street at the lifeguard station on the north side of Belmont Park and at the south side of Belmont Park, and at the commercial mall adjacent to the Mission Beach lifeguard station.
Beach Fires are permitted only in fire containers provided by the City or in personal barbecues elevated off the ground. Coals must be removed or deposited in hot coal containers.
Disabled Accessibility The boardwalk is accessible to wheelchairs and provides an excellent viewpoint of the beach. A special beach wheelchair, which requires an attendant, is generally kept at the main lifeguard station and available on a first come, first served basis at no charge.
Alcohol The consumption of alcohol at this beach and park area is prohibited at all times. This includes the boardwalk, on or against the seawall, and parking lots.
Glass Containers are prohibited if used for drinking purposes.
Smoking is prohibited on San Diego beaches and parks.
Dogs are permitted on beaches and in adjacent parks only from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m. and must be leashed at all times except at Dog Beach (adjacent to Ocean Beach) and Fiesta Island (in Mission Bay), where dogs are permitted 24 hours a day unleashed. At all locations you must clean up after your pet.
Grocery and Drug Stores (Pacific Beach)
- Ralph's Grocery Store 4315 Mission Blvd at the corner of Grand Ave. (858) 273-0778
- Trader Joe’s 1640 Garnet Avenue (858) 483-0224
- Sprouts (Healthy Foods) 1260 Garnet Avenue (858) 270-8200
- CVS Drug Store 4445 Mission Blvd (858) 273-0440
Shopping, Dining, Nightlife
- Garnet Avenue Pacific Beach: Diverse variety of casual restaurants, shops, bars and the epicenter of beach nightlife. Head north up Mission Boulevard to Garnet Ave. in Pacific Beach.
- Catamaran Resort - Spa, restaurants, Paddle wheel boat bay cruises
- World Famous Restaurant – Dine on the water (at the Surfer Hotel)
- The Promenade Shopping Plaza – Restaurants, shops, health club, farmer’s market on Saturdays
- Lahaina Beach House – Beach front bar (1 block north of PB Drive)
- El Prez – Rooftop Deck, Bar and Nightclub at the Promenade Pacific Beach
- The Local – Downstairs dining, upstairs sports bar
North Mission Beach
- Surf Shop - Beachwear and Beach Rentals
- Radd Mission Beach Bike and Surf Rentals 858-488-7789
- Mini Markets/Liquor Stores
- Gone Banana's – Women’s beach wear
- Saska's Steak and Seafood – A Mission Beach institution
- The Mission Restaurant – Excellent breakfasts
- Guava Beach Bar and Grill – Grab a drink and catch a game
- Miss B's Coconut Club - Bar and grill
- Olive's Cafe – Outside breakfast and lunch
- Rosarias Pizza
- Rubicon Deli – Something special, a Bluewater favorite
- Swell Coffee Coffee shop/bagels
- Better Buzz Coffee Mission Beach
- La Playa Taco shop
- Belmont Park – Amusements, shops, eateries, beach front restaurants
- Roberto’s taco shop
- Starbucks Mission Beach
- Zozo Pizza
- The Coaster Saloon
- Hamels Mission Beach rentals and beach gear
- The Sandbar sports bar and grill
- Kojaks Greek Restaurant
- Surf Shop
- Mini Market
- Starkeys BBQ
- Luigi's at the Beach - Pizza, Italian
- Various beach shops, ice cream, etc.
- The Penant and The Beachcomber - South Mission Beach local pubs
- South Mission Beach Grill
- Gabbiano Pizza -Great sandwiches, salads and pizzas! 858-488-4010.
- Capri Pizza and Pasta has great pizza, and they deliver 858-488-9999.
- Sara’s Mexican Food Good quick Mexican food.
- Mission Beach Market
- Ace Liquor Store